Thursday, April 8, 2010

Weightloss= Hard Work!

I am down 18.8 lbs since January. It's going to be a long, long journey for me. I am learning some things about myself since I decided to really get serious about my journey to health.

1. It is really hard to lose weight and stick with it! This should be a no brainer of course, but I have always had success and about 3 months into a new diet or routine, I quit. I have crossed over the 3 month mark and everything in me wants to quit, but I am determined. I am praying a lot for God's help in this. I am learning to really trust in Him in all things.

2. I have learned a few triggers that really mess up my progress. I love to cook and a lot of times I will make desert for Frankie and the kids. If it is a cake or some kind of pastry type desert, I can not resist it. No matter if I tell my self I will only smell and look at it from afar, it ultimately ends up in my belly! The same with ice cream. So now if I make something, I have a serving, wrap up the rest and put it in Frankie's truck to take to work the next day. I'll never deprive myself, but I sure don't have to eat half a cake in one sitting.

3. Another trigger I have is social situations. If you put me in a group setting with food, I am going to eat. You always hear the experts say, "Eat before you go to a party and then you will be full and not eat so much at the party." Whoever came up with that line of bull needs to be whipped! Even if my belly is full to bursting, I will eat a desert or something because everyone else is and I feel the need to do the same. Why? I think for me it's associated with good feelings, fellowship, family memories of cookouts and fun. Whatever it is, it's dangerous for me until I figure out how to control it.

4. Failures in my life are a trigger for me. Satan loves to remind me of my infertility and inability to carry a child and used a lunch date with some dear women friends the other day to remind me as they discussed childbirth and pregnancy. I totally forgot about watching my meal portion and instead fed my hurt. Now don't get me wrong, I am a mommy and I adore my children. But I will always struggle with my infertility. Most days, with the Lord's help I am fine. That day, satan saw a crack and wedged his way into my thoughts.

I have to keep sight of the long term goal. I don't want to be a diabetic. I don't want to die an early death. I have dreams and goals I want to achieve. In order to get to those goals, some weight has to come off. I was walking the other day and just burst out crying as I realized how far I had to go. But I am so thankful for God's grace. He is so gentle in His love and encouragment. I can turn to Him anytime with a burden and He always takes it away. One day at a time, one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment