Thursday, February 28, 2013

Talking Myself off the Ledge

You know what I'm talking about.  That mental conversation we women have with ourselves every.single.day.  You see something in the store and you really want it so you have this conversation with yourself.  "I really want this."  "Yeah, but you haven't gotten groceries yet and money is tight this week."  "Yes, but I have plenty of stuff in the freezer and I can rearrange my menu and squeeze the 20 bucks I need to get this."  "Ok, but do you want all of your meals to be deer meat and pork, because that's what's in there."  hmmmm... of course I know that I will at that point tell my inner self no, so I can spend that 20 dollars on different meats for us to eat that week.

Here is a mental conversation I had with myself at Wal-Mart just yesterday.  I rarely buy donuts and as we were getting some fruits, my son looked at me and said, "Momma, can we have a donut, please?"  How can I tell that sweet little face no.  So the conversation I had with my head was, "Don't be such a mean mom!"  "But I don't need the temptation that that donut will bring."  "But your son, needs the calories, he's a bean pole."  "But even going over in that direction could unleash an uncontrollable monster who can't resist the chocolate covered eclairs."  "You're MEAN!"  "Yeah, I may be mean but I'm fighting for my health and I know one day I will eat a dang donut, but it's not gonna be today, so THERE!"

So I offered my son a yummy popsicle when we got home, he was satisfied and I was too as I ate my skinny chocolate later.   It's all about perspective and keeping it real with myself this week.  I've had to talk myself off the ledge more than once this week as temptation has reared its ugly head.  But for this week at least, I've been able to resist getting off track.  I'm thankful for that!

1 comment:

  1. I needed you in my house this morning to talk me off the ledge. Strawberry poptart was so much appealing than eggs. Lol. There is, always tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete